Learn to Sew with Jersey and Sew Your Own Coco Top or Dress with Lucy from Lakes and Fells
Next in our online dressmaking workshop series is all about learning to sew with jersey fabric whilst making your own Coco Top or Dress.
Coco is an easy fitting top or dress as it is relatively fitted across the bust, easy fitting around the waist and them skims over the hips. It is designed to hang comfortably from your body, rather than mould to every curve! Coco includes some beautiful optional design features, including the funnel neckline, cuffs, patch pockets and a side seam split for the top. There are no fiddly fastenings here, so you can really focus on getting confident with sewing with jersey!
You can make Coco as a top which finishes around the hip, as a dress that is mid thigh length (but you can easily add extra length!) OR you can follow our hacking modules and make many other variations.
During this ONLINE workshop Lucy will walk you through each of the stages of sewing up your Coco through individual models covering all the essentials of measurements, pattern alterations and fabric cutting, as well as the construction of Coco whilst importantly providing lots of hints and tips of how to sew with jersey. Plus there are BONUS modules showing how you can modify the pattern further to give you EVEN more on trend variations.
Once you've signed up, we will send a paper copy of Coco to you. So no faffing having to print your pattern at home! Or, if you already have the Coco pattern in your stash and don't need a paper copy, then you can still join the workshop, just select the "workshop only" option.
Coco can be made from UK size 6 - 24.
You do need to have some sewing machine experience for this course, but not necessarily dressmaking experience. You also DO NOT need to have an overlocker to sew with jersey. This workshop will walk you through how to sew with jersey simply using your sewing machine! (yay!)
If you don't have any sewing machine experience, we recommend that you attend our Beginners Sewing Weekend Workshop first. Head over to our in-person workshop list to find up to date dates for these workshops!
- PAPER Coco Top and Tunic Dress Pattern and a colour instruction booklet that will be sent directly to your door. Postage is FREE OF CHARGE.
- Already have the pattern in your stash? Then you can purchase this workshop with the option to not receive a copy of the paper pattern.
- Online workshop which you can access 24/7 via our Facebook Group.
- 12+ individual modules walking you through every step to make your own Coco, from fabric discussions, measurements, pattern prep, construction.
- Access to bonus modules where Lucy will teach and guide you on how to hack and customise Coco to make more variations!
What you will need
- Dress Fabric:
- For the Top (the exact amount you need will depend on what size you are sewing and which optional features you want to include on your Coco)
- Up to 2.40m using a 115cm/45" wide fabric OR up to 2.20m using 150cm/60" wide fabric.
- For the Dress (the exact amount you need will depend on what size you are sewing and which optional features you want to include on your Coco)
- Up to 2.90m using a 115cm/45" wide fabric OR up to 2.70m using 150cm/60" wide fabric.
- Thread to match your fabric
- 30cm cotton stay tape or ribbon that is 6-8mm wide.
- Stretch/Ballpoint/Jersey sewing machine needle.
(The pattern used in the workshop is the Coco pattern from the award winning Tilly And The Buttons.)
Our Online Workshops are currently ran through Facebook Groups, so that we can continue to have an "in-person" and "community" feel similar to our physical workshops here at Lakes and Fells. The workshops are accessible 24/7 and you can track your own progress through each of the modules, as well as share your makes with the group!
Once you purchase one or more of the below workshops, we will send you a link on how to access the Facebook group. To successfully join the group, you will need to answer the Facebook Group "Membership Questions" confirming your order number and email address used when you made your purchase.
Please also note, that here at Lakes and Fells Workshop Retreats we are pleased to inform you that when you purchase an online workshop, 10% of the workshop price is donated to charity.
For this particular workshop, we will be donating to the Eden Valley Hospice.