Wednesday 8th March - Wednesday 5th April
5 Week (Evening Class); Sew Your Own Shirt Masterclass with Lucy from Lakes and Fells
This 5 week series workshop, which is ran from Just Sew Penrith, is designed for those that are wanting to expand on their dressmaking skills and master all the skills involved for sewing your own shirt!
This workshop covers all the key features of a shirt, so you will master lots of new skills including:
- Picking out your pattern size and learning about cup sizes for a better fit
- How to sew and insert a collar stand and collar
- How to create a button placket
- How to create a sleeve placket
- How to sew and insert sleeve cuffs
- How to create pleats
- How to sew a lined yoke
- How to sew buttonholes
- How to insert sleeves
- Plus lots of different sewing techniques!
Size range for the shirt pattern is approximately a UK 6 through to UK 20 (Bust measurement 32.5" through to 46"). If you would like a break down of the sizings before booking, please contact us.
You can get even more out of this pattern with customisable options whether you want a more polished professional style shirt, or a relaxed causal shirt. Plus Lucy will go through how you can hack this pattern to turn it into a shirt dress.
You do need to have some sewing machine experience for this course and also have had some experience of sewing up some dressmaking garments, though not necessarily shirts!
Course Dates: Wednesday 8th March, Wednesday 15th March, Wednesday 22nd March, Wednesday 29th March and Wednesday 5th April.
Course Start: 5.30pm
Course Finish 8:30pm
Just Sew, Poets Walk, Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 7HJ
- Sewing Craft Room environment at Just Sew, Penrith, CA11 7HJ
- Tea, coffee and refreshments throughout the workshop
- Paper pattern and instruction booklet
- Print out booklet of other key information and tips and tricks for sewing a shirt.
What you will need to bring with you
- Up to 3.00m (115cm/45" wide fabric) or 2.30m (150cm/60") fabric for your shirt
- The exact quantities will be provided on booking, as it will depend on what size you will be sewing.
- Suggested fabrics: light to medium weight woven including quilting cotton, cotton voile, cotton lawn, shirting, poplin, denim, chambray, linen, flannel, brushed cotton
- 15 - 17x 10mm buttons
- Matching Thread
- Lightweight Fusible Interfacing
- Sewing Machine and Sewing Kit (don't forget your paper scissors!)
- If preferred, for an additional £5.00 you can hire one of our sewing machines. Please notify us before the workshop if you would like to hire a machine.
The pattern used for this workshop is the fabulous Liesl & Co. Classic Shirt
Booking and Cancellation Policy
Please note that a minimum of two people are required for the course to go ahead.
On request we can offer a spilt payment method to secure your place on a course. This would entail a 50% deposit on booking and the outstanding 50% due one month before arrival. Please email us direct to enquire about this option at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If the booking is cancelled more than 14 days before arrival than no charge is made and a full refund entitled.
If the booking is cancelled less than 14 days before arrival then a charge equal to 50% of the stay will be made.
If the booking is cancelled less than 7 days before arrival then a charge equal to the full booking amount will be made.